We are the experts in state of the art laser welding technology and have successfully developed many new applications which have now been transferred into volume production improving efficiency and product quality for our many industrial clients.
Laser welding offers the inherent adavantages of a focused heat source which can be used to produce extremely high welding speeds with minimal heat input and distortion to the surrounding material compared to conventional welding technology.
Laser welding can be carried out autogenously (without filler material) or using metal filler wire or powder. Fraunhofer has state of the art equipment for both wire and powder delivery for specialist applications where it is required to close gaps or to improve the alloy composition of the weld metal.
- Low heat input resulting in less distortion of welded parts
- Minimal heat affected zone
- High travel speed allowing short production cycle time
- Deep and narrow penetration welds reducing amount of passes for thick-section parts
- Welding of hard-to-weld materials and dissimilar metals